sync/update disk access

I've noticed the reason why my drive doesn't power down into standby like it does with Redhat is because of the update demon called by etc/init.d/single which flushes the buffers every 5 seconds and seems to access the drive every 30 secs.  Is there any alternative to running update, or is there a problem with not running it, other than the greater likelihood of a corrupted filesystem in the event of a crash?  Is there any way to flush only when the buffers have been used?  Right now I have it set to flush every 30 mins.