Toshiba Portege 3015CT Laptop

Hi all,

Tried to do an installation of Debian 2.1 (slink) on my Toshiba Portege
3015CT laptop this evening, and failed miserably.

First I downloaded the standard installation floppies and tried to
install from floppy, since the CD-ROM is on a PCMCIA-IDE controller and I
figured it might not be best to try to get it working to do the
installation.  Of course, I didn't make it that far, so it still may have
worked that way also.

(Yes, I realize that floppies are bad regularly when doing this.  Been
there, done that... In all steps listed below, I remade the floppies in
another machine, after reformatting, just to check.)

During install of the first diskette, the system always rebooted at the
end of loading the kernel image.

Thinking that maybe I had the infamous bzImage problem on this newer
laptop, I attempted both the "safe" diskette and the "tecra-safe"
diskette.  Those also exhibited this behavior.

I also attempted removing all PCMCIA devices completely from the system
while booting, disabling the sound hardware in the BIOS, and changing the
memory location needed by the Neomagic video chipset in the BIOS.

None of these changes helped.

Anyone else have any other ideas?  I already have two Debian systems up
and running, and badly needed Linux on the laptop, so it's currently in
the process of an overnight Internet installation of RH 6.0, just to get
it done, but I'd prefer to use Debian on the system if I can get it
working.

Thanks, feel free to CC: me or just reply to the list.  Unlike many who
show up only for the once-in-a-while question, I read it all the time and
try to learn from the things others are going through.

As always, if I missed R'ing and FM, as some have put it, please point me
in the right direction.  I'll make sure to post info about this stuff
somewhere...

p.s. For the *one* person who replied to my HP OfficeJet 600 question,
THANK YOU... I think it's going to work, and I kept your e-mail address
when you CC'ed me to thank you personally once it's up and running!