vim syntax files

I have (well, had) a set of customised vim syntax command in the
/usr/share/vim/vim54/syntax/synload.vim file. I just upgraded to
vim[-rt] 5.4.21 and lost all my syntax settings. Is the file
likely to be backed up anywhere or anything?

Anyway, I guess this is probably my fault for doing things wrong,
but where else can I put these syntax settings? I'm sure I didn't
concede to overwriting these files on install, and I don't want to
lose the settings next time I upgrade. Where else should they go?
--
alisdair mcdiarmid                    alisdair@letdown.demon.co.uk
[if you see some guy spit on me knock him on the side of the head]