major slink -> potato problem

I recently (this morning) upgraded a very old slink system that has sat
unused for a long time to potato. It seems that somewhere in the upgrade
process bash got deleted. This machine had no alternative shells to point
/bin/sh to and everything started failing. Odd part was that the error
message it was reporting did not make it obvious what the problem was.

If I tried to run /usr/bin/which I would get "file not found" as if it
could not find which ... not because which could not find bash and since
strace was also not installed, it caused a few minutes of thinking before
I realized that bash was gone.