accessing samba server across switch

Oh my god, it's time to ask this question,

Hi there,

is it possible to access a samba server across a switch or router so
that the client is on one side and the server on the other side
(physically) of the wire? We ran into this problem because our network
group decided to exchange the repeater and put a switch there instead.
What do I have to check? The samba service (under debian slink) works
without troubles within the servers segment btw. What can I do on the
clients side (Windows95 and more recent stuff)? Client and server are
not necessarily within the same IP domain, so the IP domain addresses
might differ. Do we have to enable some kind of tunneling across the
switch/router box or is it enough to set the server into some special
mode, maybe it's not possible with the current installed samba version
(1.9.18p10-7)? What documentation shall I read? I did by be way consult
all the /usr/doc/samba* of course, however, it's pretty confusing to me
to get all this information at once, takes me a while to grasp its
meanings.

Thanks a lot,

Ferd
begin:vcard
n:Schinagl;Ferdinand
tel;fax:+43 732 2468 650
tel;home:+43 7746 3646
tel;work:+43 732 2468 9604
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Institute for Semiconductor Physics
adr:;;Altenbergerstr. 69;Linz;;4040;Austria
version:2.1
email;internet:f.schinagl@hlphys.uni-linz.ac.at
title:Dipl.Ing.
note;quoted-printable:thanks netscape :-),=0D=0AI'm now in version 2.1
x-mozilla-cpt:;-20896
fn:Ferdinand Schinagl
end:vcard