Re: Netscape/X key/mouse binding problem

On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 10:33:44PM -0500, Tim P. Gerla wrote:
> (I'm not a subscribed member of this list, so please Cc: any replies.
> Thanks!)
>
> Recently I've been having a strange problem with Netscape and X. I'm running
> the latest potato stuff. When I start netscape, I get this:

> Warning: translation table syntax error: Modifier or '<' expected
> Warning: ... found while parsing '        &lt;Btn1Motion&gt;:
> DisarmLinkIfMoved()  '
> Warning: translation table syntax error: Modifier or '<' expected
> Warning: ... found while parsing '        &lt;Btn2Motion&gt;:
> DisarmLinkIfMoved()  '
> Warning: translation table syntax error: Modifier or '<' expected
> Warning: ... found while parsing '        &lt;Btn3Motion&gt;:
> DisarmLinkIfMoved()  '
> Warning: translation table syntax error: Modifier or '<' expected
> Warning: ... found while parsing '        &lt;Motion&gt;:
> DescribeLink()  '
> Warning: translation table syntax error: Modifier or '<' expected
> Warning: ... found while parsing '        &lt;Btn3Down&gt;:
> xfeDoPopup()    '
>
> Several pages of that.
>
> I'm assuming it's an X problem, since I've reinstalled Netscape several
> times, several different versions, and most of all, trying to launch
> Netscpae from a remote machine also gives me that.
>
> Netscape will start and load pages, but they mouse buttons don't work. I
> can't click on links.
>
> I tried rgrepping /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 and /usr/lib/netscape for keywords like
> "Btn3Down" and so on, but nothing relevent showed up.
>
> It looks like an uri escape problem, but I don't have a clue where to fix
> this or how.
>
> If anyone has any idea what's going on, please email me! I'm not subscribed
> to debian-user, actually.
>
> -Tim

Don't know exactly what's going on but I had the same problem recently. What
fixed it for me was two things:
	1. Getting the latest version of netscape-base-4 (4.61-18 I think).
	2. Restarting X after doing the install.
This seemed to fix the problem for me.

Hope that helps.

Dan

--