Newbie Q: Mail-howto

Greetings ye stout Debians

As a newbie I'm a little confused about all the different apps and the
terminology involved in sending and receiving mail. My question is: is there
a mail-howto enabling a newbie to get his mail-stuff working or at least ask
the right questions?
If not, will someone please explain the works to me in plain language?!
I'm setting up a quite simple, singleuser system on a IBM TP 365, 40 Mb RAM
and 814 Mb HD using a standard ppp-connection on a Rockwell external modem
(hope to get an internal one sometime when I get PCMCIA working).
Best Regards
Vitux

Error is human; complete disaster takes a computer