Re: Wtf? puzzling lock-ups

On 12-Aug-99 Pollywog wrote:

> On 12-Aug-99 Keith G. Murphy wrote:
>> Wim Kerkhoff wrote:

>> Which kernel version are y'all running?  I notice you, Wim, are using
>> setiathome.  Are you using diald?  I'm seeing lockups right after boot,
>> using 2.0.36, when diald has dialed out due to named trying to sysquery
>> its "cache" nameservers (I don't know why it wants to do this).
>>

> I am using Potato with kernel 2.2.10 and I am not having those problems.
> Thought about upgrading your kernel?  Or maybe trying one of the diald
> versions from stable?  I seem to recall that the "stable" diald versions had
> problems with the 2.2.x kernels, so perhaps the diald versions from
> "stable" work best for 2.0.x kernels.  If you are using Slink, then none of
> what I just said would apply.

I am using 2.2.10, with the latest potato versions of everything, including
diald.  I have diald installed, but even though It is running, I don't use it.
I ill-configured anyways.

When I have time, I am going to upgrade to 2.2.10, and at the sime time check
out the Magic SysRq stuff (/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt).

 Wim Kerkhoff
 wim@netmaster.ca
 www.canadianhomes.net/wim
 ICQ: 23284586