potato broke my everything!!

i reinstalled linux using the base floppies and decided instead of
apt-getting slink i'd go straight for potato. i updated the packages in
dselect and then selected what packages to install after d/ling for 2
days (250Mb) it finally finished but there were some errors in the end
of install, i did update packages again and then i had to d/l 15mb more
after that i did config and there was an error something like cannot
execute script apt -configure. i shutdown (shutdown -h now didn't work
but i payed no attention) when i restarted there was an error saying
cannot execute /etc/init.d/rcS and thenext line is cannot execute
/etc/init.d/rc, then at the login where it usually said wonko login: it
said (none) login:  and when i tried my pass it said error changing to
/dev/tty1 and i couldn't login. does anyone know what to do? i really
don't to d/l the packages for another 2 days on my 33.6. thanks