Console Word Processing

Hey all, I've been unsuccessful in finding a console alternative to wordperfect/star office. Basically I've set up a linux box for someone and can't get X to work with the 16 color VGA monitor (I haven't looked through much documention on it tho so I don't even know if I can--but nonetheless, the 640x480 res wouldn't be great for much) and one of the primary functions of the box will be word processing. I was hoping for a little more than the countless basic editors. Can someone point me in the right direction? I really don't want to put windows back on it. Sorry for the non-debian-specific question.

|cheshire|