Re: Weird swap growth

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Christian Dysthe wrote:

> I am running Debian potato on a box with 128 MB RAM. My swap file is
> 64 MB. This was the size I got recommended when partitioned the disk.

That should be plenty for 'normal' use.  If you have a particularly high
intensity server you may need more.

> Lately I have my swap getting dangerously full while I still have a lot
> of free memory. Even when I close almost all programs the swap file
> stays filled up.

Yeah, it does that.  Don't pay any attention to it.  When something gets
swapped out, it doesn't get swapped in again until it needs to run.  So if
you have something installed that runs in the background that you don't
really use it will tend to wind up in the swap sooner or later, where it
will stay.

If you are more specific (i.e. what your definition of "almost all" is)
maybe someone can shed more light on the subject.

You might also check with ps and find out how much memory is being used by
your various programs.  With 128MB of RAM you should almost never need the
swapfile in the first place, unless you are doing something with really
big files that might use it all up.