USB for Linux???

Does anyone know what the current status of USB on Linux is? I've been to the
site listed on www.linux.org, but the page says that the person who started it
has left to pursue other things now that he's graduated. I've got an Agfa 1212U
USB scanner that I'd like to get working. I bought it in the states and need to
get a European power supply for it. But right now it seem I can't use it with
either Debian 2.1 OR WindowsNT 4.0 SP5 : ( Right now it is just sitting on my
desk collecting dust. The latest word at the Linux USB page is mice and
keyboards and such are working, but not image devices like printers or scanners.
I'm willing to donate my time and scanner to help development, but I'm not a
programmer and I'm fairly new to Linux. I've got Debian 2.1 installed on a PII
350 and am willing to test software for USB scanners if some one needs some
debugging done. I realise I could just upgrade the Windows partition to 98 or
2000 to get USB, but I just don't trust either. I'd rather use Linux. If someone
could tell me who is working on USB, I'd be glad to offer as much time as I
could spare to test software for them.

Thanks.

     John Gay