lpr indentation etc

Hi again,

Some more printer troubles.

Been spending quite some time trying to get my printer
to work. Now I can print very nice post script files
using gs-aladdin *smile*

I dont know how to put it together with lpr though.
Anyone got any ideas ?

I have an EPSON Stylus Color 740 and currently tried
to set up apsfilter with "epson" as driver selection.
Doing this I get a printcap file but I can only get
"raw" to work on an ordinary text file. ?!!! Why ??

raw|lp5|epson-a4-raw|epson auto raw:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/epson-raw:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/epson-raw/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/epson-raw/acct:\
        :if=/var/lib/apsfilter/filter/aps-epson-a4-raw:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

All other entires in printcap file, for example

lp|lp4|epson-a4-auto-color|epson auto color:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/epson-a4-auto-color:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/epson-a4-auto-color/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/epson-a4-auto-color/acct:\
        :if=/var/lib/apsfilter/filter/aps-epson-a4-auto-color:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

just prints  some error messages. Starting with

Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .putdeviceprops
(1488)op_array(564)0 ..... etc etc

I suspect this is because "epson" is the wrong filter when
running the apsfilterconfig ?

Does anyone got a filter for the 740 color printer ? Or
where can I get one ?

more:
Since "raw" works and I can print .ps with gs command
I can live with it for a while but I could never imagine
it would be this hard to get a working printer.

Another example that someone might be able to help me with
is how I can get some indentation with the lpr -Praw fil.txt
command ?  I have tried:
lpr -Praw -i 16
lpr -Praw -i16
lpr -Praw -p
putting :pr=pr -o 5 -t -j -f -e in the printcap file.
pr -o 5 -t -j -f -e fil.txt | lpr

but no indentation whatsoever *sigh*

---------

I am using lprng and apsfilter
Been trying this for quite a while as I said and did find
some .upp filters on the net. Never got them to work very
well though.
hmm what else...
I tried magicfilter but I must have screwed something up since
no filters (that I can see anyway) are installed (/etc/magicfilter/*).

So if anyone feels like helping please :) do.
Anyone know of a resource like "How to set up a nice simple
perfectly working printer environment for a single user home
debian linux machine" please let me know.

Please ignore the whining tone at some places.

Best regards
Joakim Svensson