Modem Problems

Hi

I hope someone can help me with this.

I loaded the Debian base on my laptop, hoping to get the rest of the
packages off the net using dselect.

At first I thought that I had a problem using pppconfig, so I got Minicom
and wvdial and found that after issuing ATZ to the modem that the modem
wasn't responding.  It is an external modem on the serial port.  The laptop
has a trackball and no other mouse.  The modem was on and when issuing ATZ
did flicker a few lights, but other than that did nothing.  In fact,
wvdialconf doesn't even detect the modem.

I then thought the modem was broken and took it off, attached it to a win
machine and could connect to the net within minutes.

If anyone could help me with this problem, I would be very greatful.

Thanks

Thys