How to minimize need for manual fsck after unclean unmount

I've set up a more or less fool-proof Debian box for my parents for their
word processing (WP8) and internet access needs. As I predicted when I
first insisted that they use Linux, they hardly need to call me at all to
fix mysterious crashes and OS flakiness, something I would expect regularly
if they were using Win9x. All the pieces are in place, expect for those
infrequent instances when my Dad forgets to shutdown before turning the PC
off, and a manual fsck becomes necessary upon the next bootup. Is there some
kernel parameter I can tweak so that I'll never have to intervene even if
the FS is not unmounted cleanly?