X-Windows virtual desktop and screen corruption

Hello list,

I'm running X-Windows and fvwm2 at 800x600x8 using the Frame Buffer
Device but I would like to disable the virtual desktop feature.  I
tried setting the values for 'Virtual' to 800 600 (from the default
1152 900 - which worked ok) in the 'Display' SubSection of the 'Screen'
section in /etc/XF86Config but this resulted in a corrupt display.  The
display area was stable - no monitor rolling or any other problems - it
was just what was being displayed that was scrambled - sort of
horizontally skewed but working otherwise, which implied that X thought
things were fine and was quite happy.  I tried reducing the Virtual to
1024 768 and this worked ok so I tried reducing the virtual even more
and eventually found that 801 600 works (with a 1 (x) pixel scroll
area) but 800 600 doesn't.  I also tried commenting out the Virtual
entry but that resulted in 'No valid video modes found' and no X.

I've had a look at the various docs and config files that might have
been relevent but I'm either missing it or mis-interpreting it.  The
default 640x480 mode doesn't use the virtual feature so I know the
answer already _is_ on my system somewhere, but I can't find it.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Incidentally, this is on an m68k slink system.  I tried this on the m68k
list but got no response there.

Bye,

LeeE

--