denial of service (login)

Hello,

when trying to telnet to machine I have following problem:

Trying 111.222.222.222...
Connected to 111.222.222.222.
Escape character is '^]'.

and at this point the connection freezes, the same happens with
finger, ftp and ssh. All those processes are allowed for my client
machine (couple hours ago there was no problem...). I can still
ping the server. The server is new, therefore I don't think that
it is target of some hacking attempt. It is used for parallel
computing with MPI - which uses TCP/IP for the message-passing,
my guess is that MPI somehow took all the network resources for
itself so that the server can not start telnet daemon. The system
is running Debian 2.1 with the necessary upgrades for 2.2.10 kernel.
Does someone has other ideas what might has gone wrong?

Dept. of Physics and Astronomy              |   jozef@fatra.ph.hunter.cuny.edu
Hunter College, City University of New York |                     212-772-4032