scsi hd idle spin down

Hi there.

I've two SCSI harddisks and what I'm looking for is a tool/kernel patch
that spins down those drives after some idle time and up again when
needed.

I've tried scsi-idle (original version by Christer
<wingel@ctrl-c.liu.se>, version for 2.0.30 by Matthew Jachimstal
<jachim@jachsys.resnet.mtu.edu> and for 2.2.10 by Trent Piepho
<xyzzy@speakeasy.org>). I had to remove it after my box crashed twice
within 24 hours (those were my first crashes ever).

Are there alternative to scsi-idle or other places where I could ask?

I'm using linux 2.2.10 && slink

Thanks in advance.

Peter

PS: fyi: the scsi controller is an AHA 2940 U2W, the disks are IBM
DRVS09V and there's one swap partition on each of them. I've five md
devices that use these two disks (raid0 for /usr, /home,
/export/incoming, /export/pub, /mnt/stuff; / and /var are on an ide
disk)

--
Weasel                    http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~ppalfrad/
PGP encrypted messages prefered.   See my site for my PGP key.