RE: no fixed disk

On 07-Aug-99 tf wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I dual boot, and suspect I picked up a virus that ate somthing
> important.  I can't get either to windows or my debian partition.
>
> What I wonder is, how can I restore my mbr, (or do anything,) If I can
> not boot?  the slink rescue disk does not boot. windows system disk
> wont either.
>
> hopefully this will be the shove I need to lose windows (its a
> crutch).
>
> Any ideas?

If you can't even boot off a system floppy, then your hardware's
up the creek. It may be the CMOS BIOS that's got corrupted (If
I remember aright, the CIS/Chernobyl virus does just that if
it gets the chance).

So as a first try, I suggest you switch on the machine and catch
it early enough to switch into BIOS setup, which any intact
machine will allow even if there are no bootable media available.

Then have a look at the BIOS, especially the boot settings.
If the BIOS looks normal, then start looking at hardware. Motherboard?
paper-clip fallen in there? ...

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: 07-Aug-99                                       Time: 02:37:12