Re: Backing up just my personal stuff (was: backing up a complet

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 12:09:55PM +0200, Joachim Trinkwitz wrote:
> Wim Kerkhoff <wim@netmaster.ca> writes:
>
> > Anyways, I want to set up something, so that whatever apt-get downloads is stuc
> > k into a proper hierachy like the mirrors do, and possibly a package file as
> > well.  That way, when I want to reinstall, I just install whatever off the CD,
> > and upgrade to potato with my partial mirror.  It does *kinda* suck to have to
> > re-download all those packages again at 5kb/sec :)
> >
> You could point your `sources.list' to the cache directory. Indeed
> there is a way to do what you want, but you would have to abandon
> apt-get in favour of `dftp', which creates a directory hierarchy and
> all needed package files whenever you download packages with `dftp
> getnew' (preferably with the option `--ask'; you can then even get a
> description of new packages which aren't yet installed on your
> system).

I wrote a script to do what he wants.  If anybody would be
interested in giving it a try, I'd be more than happy to send you a
copy.

Mike

[Private mail welcome, but no need to CC: me on list replies.]

--
Michael Merten
          ---> E-Mail: mikemerten@yahoo.com