OT : RAM, please help.

Sorry for OT question, but I'm completely stumped here.
My stepfather has a custom Gateway machine, and he wanted to get some
memory upgrades on it. The docs say that motherboard supports up to 32M
4x64 modulo SDRAM chip in each DIMM (it has 2).
I told him to order the SDRAM, and now that memory arrives, each chip is
recognised as 8M (instead of 32M).
I talked to the company, they are willing to exchange....just I don't know
for what.
Gateway people don't know much, and tell me to use their store instead
(that charges 2x).

I have several suspicions:
1. Memory that we ordered was PC100, but board runs at 66 max. Gateway
techsupport told me it would work.
2. When my stepfather first called them, he ordered 4x16 modulo, but I
told him to call back and change the order to 4x64. Could they have sent
us the wrong ram still, and that caused the 1/4 of memory recognized?

Please help, I have no idea what to do now.
TIA,
   Andrew

 Andrei S. Ivanov
 Scorpio@hushmail.com