Re: Configuring a monitor?

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Andrei Ivanov wrote:

> What resolution are you getting? I think the default would be 320x200,
in case a server fails to start in the mode specified.

Yes it was that.

> Check that you are using the right server. Try SVGA first, then use more
> video-card specific servers.
> Andrew

It should have been the right one. That Mattrox Millenium seems to be
using SVGA.

Someone suggested using ctl-alt-+(num) to switch between resolutions.
That method never worked. There was only that one resolution available.

There might be support for that card available in later xfree-debs, I'll
see...? Someone suggested that.

But yesterday night the whole system crashed again. There has been a
strange problem with the machine. Sometimes while booting the power goes
off suddently and then the whole system is unusable, because the whole
file-system is broken then. It made it again...

I'll try to install debian there once again later, I think (done 6 times
already...).

The machine is at my working place and there is a partition
of 2 Gb available for debian installation. But I never found it out in the
BIOS what to do for that sudden power-off. It is probably the case that
from win it loads automaticly some setting for BIOS. I think that I forgot
yesterday to shut off the machine completely before booting debian...
Might have used from win 'reboot-computer'... and then loadlin after
booting to dos-only.

Debian is on the same hd as win and I'm using loadlin (couldn't get lilo
working at all.)

-
hv