Re: Problem getting EtherLink card to work

markzimm@rmi.net wrote:

> I just installed a new 3com EtherLink III card and I am unable to ping
> another machine.
>
> First, a quick overview: I am trying to connect my linux box (with the new
> card) to a mac with a null cable. I've never used the ethernet on the mac
> before so I can't be certain it works. Also, the null cable is untested
> so far -- I am going to run it into the office and try it out there on
> two linux boxes on which networking works.
>
> I ran the DOS setup utility to disable PnP and set the IRQ/port to 5/0x300.
> The kernel module detects the card:
>
> eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, 10baseT port, address  00 50 04 21 f9 af, IRQ 5.
> 3c509.c:1.16 2/3/98 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
> eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
>
> I don't know what the 'Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses' comment means.
> Is it OK?

This is fine.

> I get no response from a ping on the other machine. The problem could be
> anywhere at this point put I am wondering about the implications of one
> thing I noticed. After pinging it with 21 packets, i do a cat /proc/net/dev
> and get:
>
> Inter-|   Receive                  |  Transmit
>  face |packets errs drop fifo frame|packets errs drop fifo colls carrier
>     lo:      6    0    0    0    0        6    0    0    0     0    0
>   eth0:      0    0    0    0    0        4    0    0    0     0    0
>    sl0:      0    0    0    0    0        0    0    0    0     0    0
>
> Note that there are only 4 transmitted packets on eth0.

What's the output of ifconfig eth0? Are you sure your routes, netmasks, etc. are all
correct?

> Could this be an IRQ or IO port conflict?
> Also, is there a command for listing the IRQs and ports in use? I think I've
> seen such a thing but I can't remember what it is.
>
> I know this is not much information yet but any insights would be appreciated.

It looks like the hardware is ok. I'm guessing software config or cable problems. I
guess once you test the cable out on other machines you'll know more.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com