Problem getting EtherLink card to work

I just installed a new 3com EtherLink III card and I am unable to ping
another machine.

First, a quick overview: I am trying to connect my linux box (with the new
card) to a mac with a null cable. I've never used the ethernet on the mac
before so I can't be certain it works. Also, the null cable is untested
so far -- I am going to run it into the office and try it out there on
two linux boxes on which networking works.

I ran the DOS setup utility to disable PnP and set the IRQ/port to 5/0x300.
The kernel module detects the card:

eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, 10baseT port, address  00 50 04 21 f9 af, IRQ 5.
3c509.c:1.16 2/3/98 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.

I don't know what the 'Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses' comment means.
Is it OK?

I get no response from a ping on the other machine. The problem could be
anywhere at this point put I am wondering about the implications of one
thing I noticed. After pinging it with 21 packets, i do a cat /proc/net/dev
and get:

Inter-|   Receive                  |  Transmit
 face |packets errs drop fifo frame|packets errs drop fifo colls carrier
    lo:      6    0    0    0    0        6    0    0    0     0    0
  eth0:      0    0    0    0    0        4    0    0    0     0    0
   sl0:      0    0    0    0    0        0    0    0    0     0    0

Note that there are only 4 transmitted packets on eth0.

Could this be an IRQ or IO port conflict?
Also, is there a command for listing the IRQs and ports in use? I think I've
seen such a thing but I can't remember what it is.

I know this is not much information yet but any insights would be appreciated.

-- Mark Zimmerman