Unstable and xmms

I know that other people are having problems installing xmms so I
thought I would post how I got it working on my stable slink
system.

I was forced to figure it out when I tried installing the xmms package
from xmms.org and not only didn't it work, but it uninstalled my
x11amp.  Since I don't have the x11amp package anymore and it is not
available at Debian's site, I was forced to with xmms.  I learned that
if you aren't installing using apt-get, then you should try the
--no-act switch of dpkg before trying it!

I found that with some work you can install xmms on a stable system.
What I did might affect some packages but I don't think so.  I'm not
sure it will work for everyone and it might cause damage but here's
what I did:

1. Get the xmms .deb package from xmms.org.
2. Get the libgtk1.2 and libglib1.2 packages from ftp://ftp.netgod.net/x.
3. Get the libaudiofile0 and libmikmod1 packages from unstable.
3. Install the libaudiofile0 and libmikmod1 packages with dpkg:
		   dpkg -i --ignore-depends=libc6 <package file name>
4. Install libglib1.2 and then libgtk1.2 with dkpg.
5. Install xmms with dpkg -i --ignore-depends=libgtk1.2.

Obviously, I'm ignoring some of the dependencies (libc6 2.1+, which
seems to be a potato thing more than a true requirement) but it seems
to work and it doesn't seem to break anything else as far as I can
tell.  Perhaps someone more knowledgable can comment on this?

I ignored libgtk1.2 when installing xmms since it only wants a
slightly newer version of libgtk1.2 than you can get from
ftp.netgod.net.  It looked like they would both work well, so I
figured what the hell.  I didn't have libaudiofile0 or libmikmod1
installed on my system before this, so I figured it was safe to force
them in.  I'm also not using a lot of gtk-based apps (except
Gimp--which still works), so I wasn't worried about forcing libgtk1.2
and libglib1.2.

I'm writing up these directions from memory so I might have forgotten
something.  I also might have had other required libraries on my
system, but they should all be from stable.  I also had to play with
getting libgtk1.2-dev and libglib1.2-dev installed to get the ALSA
xmms plugin to compile.  You have to remove quite a few other *-dev
packages to get these updated packages installed.  It's a lot of work
but it works!

Kevin