Re: Debian 2.%$#@*&!

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 maxalbert@juno.com wrote:

> Btw, I've it seems that exim abhors a POP.  Even if fetchmail gets an
> incoming message under POP, exim acts like it didn't get through, with
> error messages announcing that the SMTP listener is grievously offended.
> This is inconvenient, since my ISP sends by POP3.  After several hours of
> trying various exim configurations, I replaced exim with smail, and the
> problem went away.  Still won't do NNTP, however. No news is bad news.

Add localhost to the local_domains option.  If you had CAREFULLY read the
eximconfig information when it was run at install time, you might have
noticed it.

> I attempted to install Netscape4 (4.0-15) from my Debian 2.1 CD, using
> dselect. Setup was unsuccessful.  During configuration it says:
>
> ERROR:  The netscape archive must be in /tmp, owned by root, and under

Right, you did not read the package description before you selected the
package. In slink it was only a LOADER. You had to D/L the netscape source
and put it in /tmp owned by root and then install the loader package.

>     name matching one of the following:
>           communicator*-v4*.x86-*-linux*glibc*.tar*
>           navigator*-v4*.86-*-linux*glibc*.tar*
>
>        Archive files can be found at netscape.com and its mirrors.
>
> I tried connecting with netscape.com by ftp, and was refused.  At this
> point I refer you to my previous e-mail.

The connection may be refused if reverse DNS is not properly configured
for the IP address that you used.