Re: dhcpcd (0.70) under Debian - some problems...

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Martin Waller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Debian 2.1 (dual boot with another OS...) sitting on a network here
> at work.  Under win95, dhcpcd always gives me the same IP address, but when
> I boot under Debian, it always gives me a different IP  which is annoying as
> it makes it hard to find by others and myself on the network.  Can I get
> dhcpcd to give me a) the same address each time or preferably b) the same
> address I get when I boot into win95?

Hmm. The IP address you get is dependant on the IP address your DHCP
server gives you when you request it. If you want a static IP address, do
not use DHCP. Simply set your system up to use a hard-coded IP address and
remove DHCP.

> Also, when installing the dhcpcd .deb, it would exit with a config error:
> Error: Post installation script exited with -1

Have not seen that one and I installed dhcpcd on a system today.

> But dselect marks it as a failed config and everytime tries to re-install
> it, thus re-breaking it (I've put it on 'hold' now).  Anyway I can found out
> what the trouble is as the error message is pretty un-informative.

Just for grins, try manually installing it and then:

dpkg -i --force overwrites <dhcpcd-whatever.deb>