Re: prefered database in debian?

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, esoR ocsirF wrote:

> I have to learn to use a database for a CS assignment. I have the choice
> of either postgres or MySQL. My question is this, are there any reasons
> that I should pick one over the other? I would like to learn something

Postgres is "free-er" if that matters to you, but either one will give you
full source for free so it may not.  MySQL is much faster and better
integrated with things like PHP (if you want to put it on the web) but
Postgres supports transactions while MySQL does not.  You can do all your
work without transactions in terms of making the database do what you
want, but MySQL is very odd in this respect as all other databases use
transactions whereas MySQL has locking which resembles that found in a
multithreaded programming language.

FWIW, I've found that MySQL is easier to install.  I believe it's also
more popular than Postgres.