RE: debian vs redhat

My reason for moving from RedHat (5.2) to Debian was configurability.
        I have a cable modem, and connect to the internet via a DHCP client.
Redhat uses "dhcpcd" for this, as does most of the rest of the linux world.
Hoverver, after going to 2.2.x kernels, dhcpcd 0.70 croaks.  I couldn't get
dhcpcd to work, but an alternative was dhclient.  Unfortunately, Redhat's
network scrips were made to work with dhcpcd, and had no support for
dhclient.  I had to modify many of the scripts by hand to find an adeqiate
solution.  In the process, I found the RedHat init scripts to be a convoluted
mess.  Why were they written this way?  Linuxconf.  If you do things the
Linuxconf" way you loose a great deal of flexability, not to mention half
the documentation out there assumes you edit config files and init scripts by
hand.  If you do anything by hand, you risk breaking Linuxconf support for
that script, and all scripts related to it.  This left my system with dozens
of convoluted scripts not supported by Linuxconf.

I never did get the dhcpcd client (the new one, with 2.2.x support) under
either RedHat or Debian.  But dhclient is a much cleaner program.

I hear the next version of Debian will include Linuxcong support as part of the
standard system.  I hope this doesn't ruin Debian the way it, in my opinion,
ruined RedHat.

Bryan