Re: X11amp for 2.1?

*- On 29 Jul, John Gay wrote about "X11amp for 2.1?"

> I know I've seen a few comments about X11amp before, but most of the suggestions
> were to upgrade to 2.2. I tried installing the .deb from unstable, and had to
> upgrade a few other packages before it would work, but this caused many, many
> conflicts in my system, according to dselect. Everything seemed to work fine,
> otherwise. UNTIL, I tried to install Star Office. This insisted on upgrading my
> lib's, all though the README's indicated the Debian 2.1 had the right lib's.
> After this, my entire system was trashed. I had to re-initialise my / and /usr
> partitions and re-install from scratch. I don't want to try that again any time
> soon. Is there any way to install/compile X11amp to run on Debian 2.1 without
> upgrading the system? As it seems that the freeze for 2.2 is still in the
> distant future, I would like to have X11amp, but not at the cost of going to
> unstable. I am still too new to linux to deal with the problems of unstable.

John,

If you are using apt as your method for dselect you can upgrade apt to
a later version that makes building the unstable sources on your stable
slink fairly easy.  Grab http://netgod.net/x/apt_0.3.7slink0_i386.deb
and install it with dpkg -i.  Then add an appropriate line to
/etc/apt/sources.list like:

deb-src http://debian.midco.net/debian potato main contrib non-free
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
               Change to your closest
               mirror that has sources

This will enable apt to find the source packages only from unstable but
not the binaries.

You will need dpkg-dev and probably other libraries to build xmms.
Debian source package do not support source dependencies yet.  The
best way to guess which ones is look at the depends line of the
package and then grab the corresponding -dev deb package from your
slink mirror.

Then cd to a directory, ex. /usr/local/src and then execute,

apt-get update; apt-get --compile source xmms

This will download the xmms source and diffs and then extract them and
build them into a Debian package compiled against your slink libs.  If
you get any erros during the compile about missing include files(*.h)
search for them in the 'Search the Contents' search engine at
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages.html.  Then install the
appropriate file with 'apt-get install <deb>'.  Then to start the build
over again cd into the source directory that was created and issue
'./debian/rule binary'.  Once this has completed succesfully you will
have a shiny new xmms deb in the parent directory.  Then just install
it with dpkg -i.

Simple huh, =),

--
Brian