Re: netscape crashing (solution!!)

Adam Shand <larry@alaska.net> wrote:
> this is what you should do if you've been having problems with netscape
> crashing a lot and have a glibc2.1 system (crashes for me occurred either
> after password authentication or when closing a netscape window):
>
> * clean off all the netscape/navigator/communicator packages from your
>   system (use dpkg --purge until they are all gone).
>
> * make sure you have the needed libc5 packages:
>
>   # apt-get install xpm4.7 libg++27
>
> * go to the below url and download the libc5 netscape file:
>
>   ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/4.6/english/unix/supported/linux20_libc5/professional_edition/
>
> * save it to /tmp/communicator-v46-export.x86-unknown-linux2.0glibc.tar.gz
>   and make sure that it is owned by root:
>
>   # chown root /tmp/communicator-v46-export.x86-unknown-linux2.0glibc.tar.gz
>
> * install the debian netscape installer:
>
>   # apt-get install netscape4

Thank you.  I get the same exits as you with failed passwords
and closing windows.

I did this, using navigator instead of communicator.  The netscape4
installer seems happy.  But I've got a library problem that
I can't figure out.  I installed libg++27 and yet this:

# ldd /usr/lib/netscape/netscape
        libg++.so.27 => not found
        libstdc++.so.27 => not found

/etc/ld.so.cache includes their directory /usr/lib/libc5-compat,
ldconfig was run during the install, and they both appear in
/etc/ld.so.cache.