Re: Mouse

> I have a HP Vectra with a bus mouse.  When I run XF86Setup I cannot get the
> mouse to move.  I have read in Linux documentation that /dev/mouse should be
> linked to /dev/ca[01].  I cannot find these device drivers.  What should I
> be doing to make this happen?

I think you can't find /dev/ca[01] because it actually says
/dev/cau[01], and that would be wrong anyway, for two reasons, one
relevant here, and one not.

The suggestion to use /dev/cua[01] is for if you have a serial mouse,
not a bus mouse.  Since you have a bus mouse, it is wrong for that
reason.  It is also wrong because the /dev/cua[01] are considered a
design mistake by the kernel developers, and they have dropped official
support for them a -long- time ago.  It's just that not all the
documentation that refers to them has been properly updated.

The Busmouse Howto says that Linux only supports four busmouse
interfaces -- Inport (aka Microsoft), Logitech, PS/2, and ATI-XL.  If
your mouse connects to a special card in your machine, it could be
Inport, Logitech, ATI-XL, or none of the above.  If it plugs into a
small round connector that looks like your keyboard connector, it's a
PS/2 mouse.

If it's PS/2, you can use /dev/psaux.  You may have to compile in
kernel support, however.