Re: LPRng problem.

Shao Zhang wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 08:36:14PM +1000, Bill Shui wrote:
> > Hi,
> >       I am having some problems with setting up my LPRng.
> > I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.
>
>         If you just install lprng package and have a working printcap file,
>         then it should be fine.

	Well, I didn't have a working printcap file, because I installed Debian
from the CD, and they weren't configured. And I wasn't sure which filter
to use, well, lpf wouldn't work for the PostScript, and I was trying to
use ifhp -Tstatus=off
	but no luck with that either.

> >       I have a HP 6L printer (ie it's a post script printer)
>         I cannot agree with you on this. I don't think this is a postscript
>         printer.

	Maybe not... but the issue is that it requires some kind of filter
programs to print postscript files, and I tried to filter it with lpf,
but instead, it printed lines of scripts. That's why I then tried to
install lprng again. and I wasn't sure whether they (lp* commands) were
mixed from different versions or not. So I deleted them all, and tried
to install the LPRng again.

> >       I just installed the LPRng (latest stable version, and the filters that
> > go with it).
> >       I deleted the original lpd and lp* commands (they used to reside in
> > /usr/bin and /usr/sbin <--- the lpd)
>
>         Why do you remove the lp stuff?? If you have them already, then it may
>         be provided by the old lpd package. You should just install lprng package
>         and it will automatically remove the lpd package for you.

	Well, anything that I can do now to try  to get my lpd started again?

> >       and now I couldn't even start up my lpd..
>         try to start it from /etc/init.d/lpd

	I did, I substituted all the lines containg /usr/sbin/lpd with
/usr/local/bin/lpd
	since lpd now resides in /usr/local/bin
	and it still didn't work.
	I wasn't sure if lprng file was meant to be in /etc/init.d/ too?
	because I have both "lprng" and "lpd" sitting in  my /etc/init.d/

> >       I tried checkpc -f command,
> >       and it prints "/var/run/lpd.printer permisson denied"
> >       I looked into /var/run directory, and there was not a lpd.printer
> > present at all...
> >       So I "touch"ed lpd.printer. and guess what, lpd can start again.
> >       But after I rebooted my computer, the lpd.printer disappeared again.

		any ideas here?

> >       and also I think I'm having problem with my printcap file...

Thanks.