removing badly-broken package

After a recent upgrade of some potato packages, xcontrib is in a very
broken state where I can neither upgrade nor remove it.

dpkg reports:

$ dpkg -l xcontrib
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
pHR xcontrib        3.3.2-5.1      XFree contributed clients.

Trying to upgrade causes the post-removal script to do something which
grabs all the memory and swap in my computer and ends up segfaulting.
dpkg --force-remove-reinstrq also makes this happen.

There must be some way to manually remove all traces of xcontrib and try
installing it again, but I haven't found any mention of how to
accomplish this.  Can someone please point me in the right direction?

tia,

Bob