Re: Using apt with downloaded deb

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999, Tiago Alves Macambira wrote:

> I've been trying to install debian 2.1 but not I’m not being very lucky.

Just out of curiousity, what's up with the apostrophies in this message?

> Last time I tried, apt/dselect downloaded all the packages needed to
> continue with the installation and started unpacking them but, then, I
> run out of space in my root partition and the installation was aborted.
> I copied the /var/cache/apt/archives contents to a available vfat/DOS
> partition hopeful I would be able to use its contents later.
>
> OK, I’m sending this message hoping that someone could tell me how I
> would actually use this set of .deb now that I’ve re-installed debian
> and have 'enough space left in device'. I tried to add the following
> line to /etc/apt/sources.list (?)
>
> 'deb file:/mnt/dos/debian/archives'
>
> that is pointing to the location of the set of .debs but it seems that
> apt did't like of my idea. It also seems that a certain Packages.gz file
> is supposed to be present in the directory were the .debs are but I
> don’t know how to create one! I mean, I know that there is a dpkg-
> utility for this task but neither its man page nor its usage message
> were helpful to me at all.

There's basically two ways to install those packages. If you just want the
packages installed, you can use dpkg -i on the debs. This might give you
some headaches with dependancies though, since you might try installing a
package before something it depends on...

The second method is to create that Packages.gz file. You'll first need to
create an override file (man dpkg-scanpackages for the format), or you can
just steal the one used on the mirror you downloaded the packages from.
Then, execute this command (substituting <...> with the parameter, of
course):
  dpkg-scanpackages <path> <override.file> > Packages
<path> would be the path to the debs, probably /mnt/dos/debian/archives
<override.file> is the override file you just created/stole.

You'll then have your Packages file, which can be gzipped if you'd like.
Finally, add the proper line to your sources.list. You almost had it
right, you just need one more slash:
  deb file:/mnt/dos/debian/archives /
[the space before the final slash is required]