Re: LILO problems with new HD

> Ok I guess I have to spend more time to ask specific questions..
> sigh
>
> You said
> "I simply copied /boot/* and /home/* to the new drive, and ran lilo on
> it."
>
> You didn't say if you updated the /etc/fstab file.

yes, /boot, /home, and the swap partition are updated to reside on the new
drive...they are workng properly as I type.  I wouldn't think that this
would effect lilo botting, but either way, everything's fine here.

> You didn't say if you updated /etc/lilo.config to look for the new
> /boot on a different drive.

well, since the new drive is essentially a copy of the old drive (just
bigger), I didn't change anything here.  In the process of changing things
over, I mounted the "new" /boot, and /home in temporary directories,
copies the dirs and files to them, and then unmounted the "old" /boot, and
/home, and mounted the "new" ones in their place.  I ran lilo after this,
assuming that everything would just adjust to the changes.  A suspicion is
that the map file doesn't properly represent the new, bigger drive, but
perhaps I'm wrong on this, as the map installer is part of 'lilo', and
maybe it just updates the file after looking @ the new geometry.

the following is my lilo.conf:
**
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/sda1
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=20
image=/boot/linux
        label=Linux
        read-only
**

> You didn't say if you changed/removed the old lilo.conf entry that
> pointed to the OLD location of /boot.

again, the new drive has the same dir/partition structure (right down the
the numbering, so essentially I didn't even change anything in /etc/fstab

> You didn't say if you now have 2 drives ( I assume you do as you only
> copied /boot and /home to the New one) or if there is now only one
> drive.

yes, I have one SCSI drive, and one IDE drive...the scsi drive CANNOT
boot, as it's hooked up to a non-bios scsi card (which requires drivers to
initialize).

> I have written oncee in an effort to help.  I have written a second time
> to try to help YOU to help yourself.

well, hopefully this answers both of our questions...

thanks
-lev