Re: System woes..unkillable processes and more!

	Subject: System woes..unkillable processes and more!
	Date: Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 10:10:23AM -0500

Quoting Stephen Pitts(smpitts@midsouth.rr.com):
> I've had intermittant problems with one of my
> Debian systems. It's running potato and
> the 2.2.10 kernel-image in potato.
[snip]
> I manually rebooted, and upon the
> "your filesystems have errors" fsck check,
> I got the binfmt-0000 message again.
>
> My filesystems have lots of errors now,
> and I don't want this reinstallation to
> be a regular procedure. What should I do?
> Has anyone had problems like these before?

I seem to recall seeing this before but can't remember where.
Here is what I have found so far.
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help
"Kernel support for ELF binaries
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF
[snip]
If you want to compile this as a module ( = code which can be
  inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want),
  say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt. The module will be
  called binfmt_elf.o.
* * * *
Saying M or N here is dangerous because some
  crucial programs on your system might be in ELF format.  "
* * * *

My comment ( SOME??? )

Kernel support for A.OUT binaries
CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT

My comment "The same warning as CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF

This is all that I have found.  I will continue looking.

Hope this Helps!

--
Real programmers don't bring brown-bag lunches.  If the vending machine
doesn't sell it, they don't eat it.  Vending machines don't sell