Re: error messages in dselect and xterm

On 24 Jul, pplaw wrote:
  |  hi debian community,
  |
  |  i'm a newbie who would like an internet box running debian linux.  i've
  |  gotten a successful install, but i get error messages in dselect and
  |  xterm:
  |
  |  1.  re: dselect's install.  "installation script returned error exit
  |  status 1";
  |  2.  re: dselect's configure.  "dpkg--configure returned error exit
  |  status 1";
  |  3.  re: exterm.  "error in loading shared libraries libImlib.so1:
  |  cannot open shared object file:     No such file or directory."
  |
  |  also, when i look at "select" in dselect, i see some packages that are
  |  not configured.  (does it have any connection to #2?
  |
  |  ...any suggestions...
  |
  |  thx.
  |
  |  bentley taylor.
  |
  |  //

Sometimes re-running the Install a few times will clear up these
problems.  Often the problem is that package A hasn't been installed and
configured before package B which depends on package A.  I'm not sure
how dselect figures the order of installation, but this happens all the
time when installing a bunch of new packages.
--

Eric G. Miller