Re: kernel panic while mounting root fs

Andrew;

I suppose that my first thought would be to BIOS differences...
Have you already checked for "memory holes" and "shadow memory"?

What is the size difference between the two kernels?

While I am ignorant of the majority of the differences between 2.0-
and 2.2- kernels is there any chance that a change in the handling of
the disk geometry by the BIOS affects the 2.2 kernel where the 2.0
might ignore the change?