Re: A Pet Peeve about posting on the lists

*- On 22 Jul, Wayne Topa wrote about "Re: A Pet Peeve about posting on the lists"

> 	Subject: Re: A Pet Peeve about posting on the lists
> 	Date: Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 12:43:37AM +0000

> Quoting Lee Elliott(LeeE@spatial.freeserve.co.uk):

>> Sorry to have peeved you, I do this deliberately so that paragraphs format OK regardless of window size (I'm only able to check this on YAM & Outlook) - for me, reading:
>>
> Lee
>   I notice that the YAM editor does some other odd things.  See above
> the "On 22-Jul-99, you wrote:"  Most mail programs show who the "you"
> was.  I don't see that in your mail.  See how mutt says who I am replying
> to.  That along with the loong lines is different, to say the least.
>
>   Well if YAM is all you have....

In many mailers this attribution line is configurable.  Perhaps Lee has
it set this way, although it is good netiquette[1] to identify who the
'you' is.  Especially in a thread like this when there are nested quotes
from several posts.

--
Brian

[1] rfc 1855 'Netiquette Guidelines'
[...]
2.1 User Guidelines
[...]
2.1.1 For mail:
[...]
     -If you are forwarding or re-posting a message you've received,
      do not change the wording. If the message was a personal
      message to you and you are re-posting to a group, you should ask
      permission first. You may shorten the message and quote only
      relevant parts, but be sure you give proper attribution.
[...]