mc: How to terminate an FTP connection ?

Package: mc
Version: 4.5.1-1.1

I have another mc (midnight commander) question.
How can I terminate an ftp connection made from within mc ?
The fact that I can not terminate such a connection at will has 2
implications for me:
1) I am holding an unused connection to the server until its timeout closes it.
2) I can not connect again to the server afterwards unless I exit mc and then
run it again. The reason for this is that mc will not agree to reopen the
connection since it knows that it was closed.

-- System Information
Debian Release: 2.1
Kernel Version: Linux rakefet 2.0.36 #2 Sun Feb 21 15:55:27 EST 1999 i586
unknown

Versions of the packages mc depends on:
ii  libc6           2.0.7.19981211 GNU C Library: shared libraries
ii  libgpmg1        1.14-3         General Purpose Mouse Library [libc6]
ii  libncurses4     4.2-3          Shared libraries for terminal handling
ii  e2fsprogs       1.12-4         The EXT2 file system utilities and libraries
	^^^ (Provides virtual package libcomerr2)
ii  e2fsprogs       1.12-4         The EXT2 file system utilities and libraries
	^^^ (Provides virtual package libext2fs2)