Re: shutdown -h now : don't power off

As it seen your APM daemon is not working.
The result from the ps aux command points the query you have just entered.
It means PID 2169 is your ps aux commands  PID. Not APM's PID.

So you must have re-compile kernel with advanced power management support
APM. Or a little bit chance try to start apm deamon just typing

#apmd

it will comment you if your kernel supports APM.

good luck

Halis Osman ERKAN