Re: A Pet Peeve about posting on the lists

On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 12:43:37AM +0000, Lee Elliott wrote:

> Sorry to have peeved you, I do this deliberately so that paragraphs format OK regardless of window size (I'm only able to check this on YAM & Outlook) - for me, reading:

Don't do that!  The standard line length is 80 columns, and all sane
mail clients can display that without problems.  Most Unix mail clients
do *not* do word wrapping in either display mode (spacing may be
signifigant) or when editing replies (there's no way to tell if you
really did intend to write a 1000 column line or if you just didn't put
in any line breaks, making line-mode operations useless when editing
unless the message is re-formatted and requoted).

This makes your messages very hard to read (especially if the window is
actually wider than 80 columns - 80 columns is actually a pretty good line
length for displaying block text), and means that when people reply to you
your message will be improperly quoted (one mark at the start of the
paragraph) and often won't have context snipped properly.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/