Re: slrn - posting to newsgroup rejected

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 05:21:49PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 02:36:05PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:

> > > I hope somebody can help me with this one: Why do my messages posted to a
> > > newsgroup from slrn land up in /var/spool/slrnpull/out.going/rejected?

> > Without seeing any error messages it's hard to say, but I would guess
> > that the problem is that the upstream news server is rejecting them.
> > Do you need to authenticate to post?  Do your posts contain a very small
> > proportion of non-quoted material?  What error do you get if you try to
> > post directly to the server?

> I did not see any error messages.  When I saw that my message did not
> appear on the newsgroup, I checked the out.going directory to find the
> message in "rejected".  I have a dialup system and slrnpull is activated
> from /etc/ppp/ip-up.d

Well, see the questions above.  Try moving the articles into the
outgoing directory and running slrnpull from the command line.  Try
looking in the system logs in /var/log to see if any information went
there.

To test directly against the server, run "telnet nntp.server 119" then
into telnet and end it with a line containing a single ".".  "QUIT"
closes the session.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/