Re: [Fwd: Lynx Problems]

Doug Young wrote:

> Well whatever the cause of my Lynx problems they are finished now ....
> I've uninstalled the thing and hope never to hear of it again.
>
> I eventually located an extremely well written document titled
> "How to Hook up PPP in Linux" by W.G.Unruh (unruh@physics.ubc.ca)
> that appears to have all the diagnostic stuff needed to debug a
> connection so the use for a dark ages technology browser no longer
> exists. The abovementioned article is even easier to comprehend
> than the very good O'Reilly stuff .... which goes to prove that
> it IS possible to produce intelligible documentation on linux
> applications :)

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding.  A good PPP (or other
network) connection is necessary for any browser to work.  No browser
can work independently of that, or debug your connection for you.  So
what's the knock on lynx if it didn't work when you didn't have the
connection established?

However, you are doing right by forgetting about lynx and concentrating
on your PPP connection.  I do wonder whether you wouldn't have been
better off concentrating on pppconfig and pon/poff, which could be a
real time-saver.

Good luck.

If you should try lynx after the PPP connection is there, I would guess
you will find it  quite reliable and useful, if not pretty.