Re: SCSI, IDE, and LILO, oh my!

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Nils Rennebarth wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 10:39:44AM -0400,  Raymond A. Ingles wrote:
[...]
> >  Now we get into the meat of things. I want to yank out the IDE drive...
[...]
> >  I rerun /sbin/lilo, reboot, and try to boot Windows. It just says
>
> Did you do sys c: from a win98 boot disk?

 Nope. [slaps forehead]

[...]
> Lilo doesn't know that you changed your BIOS idea about what is supposed to
> be the boot (i.e. first) disk. You need to tell it:
>
> disk=/dev/sda
>    bios=0x80
> disk=/dev/sdb
>    bios=0x81
> disk=/dev/hda
>    bios=0x82

 Yup, that did it. I should be able to pull the IDE drive now (and get
rid of the "bios=" stuff, then.) Maybe I'll put it in the 386 in my
basement. :->

 Thanks for the help! I understand a lot more about LILO now.

 (BTW, free factoid: The reason I'm opening up my case is to hook up a
SCSI drive and low-level-format it for a friend. Did you know Windows 98
can't handle a drive formatted to 256 bytes/sector? Linux can. :-> )

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles         (248) 377-7735           ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

      Microsoft Windows - Ignorance is our most important resource.