Re: My terminal is in a weird state - SOLVED

Quoting Mark Wright (mwright@pro-ns.net):

> >Mark Wright wrote:
> >> I just managed to completely hose my virtual terminal display.  It seems
> >> that non-alpha-numeric characters have been replaced with ascii > 127
> >> characters.  I.e. the '-' becomes the upside down '!'.  I've tried
> 'reset',
> >> but that doesn't help.  All of my virtual terminals are hosed.  For now I
> >> can telnet in, but eventually I'd like to be able to work at the machine
> >> itself, and I'd like to avoid rebooting if I can.  The problem started
> after
> >> I droped out of X, after installing Blackbox 5.  Any ideas on how to fix
> the
> >> problem?
>
> I figured out the problem - the Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO had the answer -
> type 'setfont' at the prompt.  Now I have to go read it and figure out what
> I just did...

Unfortunately all you did was drop out of X. Ditto when you eventually
exit. I have this problem with the Avance ALG2301/2 cards I have.

Cures:

1. Run xdm and forget VCs.
2. Type your setfont command and then startx & so that you
   can recall the setfont command whenever you need it.
3. Define a single character alias, like F, to issue the setfont.
4. Learn to read the character mapping (if it's as consistent as mine).

Cheers,