Re: Good HTML editor for debian Linux?

I am doing quite a bit of web stuff now, but up until now have been doing it
through an xterm->telnet to web server->joe, black on white.  I tried BlueFish,
but the preview in netscape button caused it to crash.

I would not mind something that could:
1. Gives color coding
2. Be good for perl AND html AND cgi AND javascript (I doubt I'll get all 4)
3. Let me save to a web server.
4. The only time I save stuff locally is for graphics, which I upload via ftp.

Is there something that will do most of this?  the color coding would be nice.
-----------------

On 21-Jul-99 Sean wrote:
> I don't know what features BBEdit has, but when I'm doing HTML stuff in X I
> like to
> use WebMaker as an editor.  Bluefish is also pretty nice, but it doesn't yet
> have
> syntax highlighting, which I'm pretty much hooked on.

[snip]
> I know that WebMaker has a preview button that will open up Netscape (or
> anyother
> browser you want to specify), and I believe Bluefish has this capability as
> well, but
> I'm not sure as I don't use it (the editor) very often.
>
> I also don't know about the template or preprocessor abilities of either
> editor, as
> these are features that I don't yet require.
>
> Sean
>
> Chris Beaumont wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>   I'm just curious what people are using to write HTML with on Debian,
>>
>> The available editors ive tried so far all seem *so* clunky and unsuited
>> to the task...  cut and paste works irregularly if at all, no facilities
>> for previewing.. etc.  Am I missing some obvious choice? Ive used
>> Gxedit, nedit, thisedit, thatedit..
>>
>> Basically what I'm looking for is a workhorse editor that I can use as
>> my main HTML tool.
>>
>> Is there anything Linux-friendly with anything approaching the feature
>> set of the program that I am used to, BBEdit on the Power Macintosh...
>>
>> Any suggestions are welcome..  I'm also looking for HTML template and
>> preprocessor solutions...

 Wim Kerkhoff
 wim@netmaster.ca
 www.canadianhomes.net/wim