Re: Debian Install woes..

On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 01:41:20PM -0700, Steven Klass wrote:
> Hey all.
>
> Ok, I installed Debian without a hitch, and then deselect came into play.
> Here is the problems that I ran into, when trying something different, and
> maybe you guys can help me out a bit.
>
> I ran the standard install using the install disks (Binary - The orange
> one).  When it came time for me to select which type of install I wanted, I
> chose Basic - because I want the freedom to pick and choose which debs I
> want later.  I know I could have done custom, but hey I'm also relatively
> lazy in scrolling through some 1500 debs:)  Anyway it was time for the
> reboot.  After I rebooted, I picked my root passwd and established a user,
> and then dselect came up.  The screen prior to it stated that just use
> Access, Install, and Configure, because I had already picked the debs to
> install.  Makes sense.  So since I rebooted and I saw that it found my nic,
> why not use the ftp access option and get the latest and greatest right?  I
> ftp'd to Debian and bam I was instantly downloading the latest and greatest
> stuff.  Way cool.
>
> Install - Oh CRAP!!  Error after error after error, and then finally sorry
> dpkg stated too many errors.  OK, now what.  Since the errors were so many,
> and so frequent I could only catch glimpses of the error codes.  Namely
> ncurses comes to mind.  Obviously configure won't work, and it didn't, I
> tried.  What did I do wrong?  It would appear that I was supposed to install
> form the CD, but where on the CD are these files?  I didn't see them.  And
> since I can't do what I tried, it should have been in the docs not to do
> that.  Has anyone else seen this problem?  TIA, much appreciated.

When installing lots of files (which you're trying to do), the ftp
method for dselect can run into problems with dependencies.  I'd
suggest you download and install apt manually, then start dselect,
go to the [A]ccess menu and select the apt method.

As far as your current problem, you can try running dselect-install
again (sometimes it takes several passes to get everything worked
out right).

HTH,
Mike

[Private mail welcome, but no need to CC: me on list replies.]

--
Michael Merten -- ironfoot@popaccount.com
          ---> NRA Life Member -- http://www.nra.org