Re: [Fwd: Lynx Problems]

	Subject: [Fwd: Lynx Problems]
	Date: Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 06:19:05PM +1000

Quoting Doug Young(dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au):
> using netscape with all the known but unsolved crashes and bus errors i
> feel like
> workin with m$ software...
>
> The difference is Netscape is suited to the majority of computer users
> who possess neither the time nor the inclination to wade through reams
> of excessively obtuse documentation in the hope of figuring how
> to configure it.
>

> > Lynx OTOH is a "typical" UNIX program.  I have never seen Lynx crash,
> > hang, or fail in any way and have never heard anyone else claim that
> > it has for them.
> >
> > Lynx help is VERY good.  The help and keystroke pages are treated just
> > like any other "web page" except that there is no waiting for a response!
> > For all the years that I have used Lynx, I have to admit that so far
> > I have not even scratched the capability of that program.
>
> In theory thats a GOOD THING, but if it won't work its as much use to
> users
> as a bicycle is to a fish
> >
> > You can search the help pages with "/key string" which can be quite
> > handy.
>
> yes well .... assuming lynx is actually running, how does one know just
> WHAT
> "key string" to use ??

Doug

  I have been reading back post about your lynx problem.  A lightbulb
lit.

  The only time I get the message "Can't access startfile" is when

1. The "local" html file I told lynx to read isn't there or I mistyped
   the file name.
or
2.  If I tried to access a web site and had not brought up the 'net!

Do you have ppp working?  I think I recall you saying the you could only ping
one of your name servers.  Can you ping www.debian.org?

This is a strange problem as I do not recall the newest newbie ever
having this much problem with lynx.  Maybe you should try reloading
it.

--
If a listener nods his head when you're explaining your program, wake
him up.